Did you know that one of the main reasons students drop out of college is because they don't know how to use technology in an educational setting?
We will be using technology almost daily and in a variety of ways in science this year. I encourage you to consider BYOT (Bring Your Own Technology) for your child this year. Please visit the parent information links and FAQ for more details about district technology use and policies. If you have any further questions, please contact me.
Tech Check In
Tech Check Out
We will use the following types of Apps in class. All Apps can be downloaded from the App Store on IDevices or the Play Store on Android devices.
A Whiteboard App
A QR Code Reader
An Internet Browser
Technology Parent Information
Norms and consequences for device use in 5th Grade Cox Elementary classrooms.
BYOT Permission Letter
LISD BYOT Page
Resources about BYOT/BYOD including articles.
District Acceptable Use Policies
Policies set by the district in the student handbook regarding technology use. (This one says High School, but it is the same at all levels.)
What we are required to teach about technology by the state. All teachers no matter the subject they teach are required to teach these TEKS as well.
LISD Parent Technology Support Page
This pages answers a lot of questions parents may have and has some great articles and news stories.
LISD Digital Citizenship Page
Help your child become a good digital citizen!
LISD Information Technology Home Page
This page has links to many of the items above. It also has parent internet safety resources.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Why BYOT?
- What will my child be doing with the device at school?
- Is it mandatory that my child bring a device to school?
- What if we can’t afford to buy a device?
- Does my child have to use our data plan?
- Does the district provided WiFi protect my child?
- Is there a particular device you would recommend?
- Are there specific Apps required?
- How will the device be kept safe and secure?
- As a parent, am I required to add additional software (virus protection, filter, tracking device etc.) to my child’s technology tool?
- If my child’s device is stolen or damaged, what recourse can I take?
- What are the campus/classroom rules for using student owned devices including phones?
Will my child have access to communication and collaboration tools while on the LISD network?
Where can I see the Acceptable Use Guidelines for Technology?